Medicare Coverage & Dermatology

Does Medicare pay for dermatology?

It is important to start off by checking if your dermatologist accepts Medicare before scheduling an appointment. Be sure to note that Medicare does not pay for dermatology care unless it is essential to your health. This means anything that is non-routine, Medicare Part B may pay for dermatology care for assessing, doctoring, or diagnosing a condition.

What are the costs of visiting a dermatologist?

You will be responsible for any out-of-pocket cost that is not considered "medically necessary" treatment by your dermatologist. These costs might be deductibles, co-payments, coinsurance, etc.

What type of services by a dermatologist does Medicare cover?

Did you know that every year in the United States more people are diagnosed with skin cancer than all the cancers put together? As you know, this form of cancer is very common. One example of a service covered by Medicare is a skin cancer screening, which is a visual exam of the skin. The dermatologist will check for birthmarks, moles, and other marks that have a different color or texture.

If a patient does not have signs of this disease, then Part B does not cover the cost of this service. If your visit is a "doctor’s referral" to further assess a possible condition, Medicare Part B might cover the referral visit expenses. Medicare does cover mole removals that are cancerous. Other examples of diseases that require treatment are Psoriasis, Shingles, Skin Cancer, etc.

Does Medicare cover dermatology prescriptions?

To simply explain, if a dermatologist diagnoses you with a condition and prescribes treatment drugs, they should be covered. Things that are cosmetic like hair growth prescriptions are not covered by Medicare Part B.

Why would you need a Medicare Supplement for dermatology? 

The out-of-pocket cost are determined by each step of treatment. As you may know, Medicare only covers 80% of the cost and you are left with the remaining 20%. A Medicare Supplement will fill the gaps in coverage, which will take care of that 20% you are left with.

How can MWG Senior Services help you?

If you would like to talk with someone about insuring yourself from the costs of visiting a dermatologist, be sure to call MWG Senior Services at (877) 759-5760 or email Our team of advisors are ready to answer any questions you might have about Medicare Supplements, prescription drug or cancer plans.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published